al-luckylady

Tuesday, April 19, 2022

Butter Buns and Sugar Butter Buns

 



I set out to bake the softest Butter Buns possible. Thus, after 3 trials, modifying my ingredients after each bake I managed to accomplish it. I usually activate my yeast first to ensure that they are still good to use. And I mix my ingredients in a stand mixer till they come together before I unload the dough onto my counter top. I then slap and fold it till window pane is reached. However, you may do the whole process in your stand mixer.


Ingredients:
  • 270 g warm milk
  • 45 g sugar
  • 7 g yeast
  • 450 g bread flour
  • 3 g salt
  • 70 g butter
  • 1 egg
  • Egg wash - 1 egg + 1 tbsp milk

Method:
  • Activate the yeast by mixing warm milk and sugar in the mixing bowl of a stand mixer. Sprinkle the yeast on top.
  • Once bubbles have formed add bread flour, salt and egg to the mixer.
  • Knead the dough till a ball is formed.
  • Add butter and continue to knead till window pane is reached.
  • Proof the dough till double in size.
  • Punch down the dough and divide it into the number of buns you desire. (I made 4 pieces of 85g plain butter buns plus 9 pieces of 70g sugar butter buns. You may want to make 12 pieces of plain butter buns or sugar butter buns by dividing the weight of dough by 12.)
  • Shape the dough according to your preference - either round or long for plain Butter Buns but normally round for Sugar Butter Buns. Place the dough onto a greased (and lined with parchment paper) 8 inch x 8 inch baking pan.
  • Let them proof till double in size.
  • Egg wash the buns gently.
  • For Sugar Butter Buns, use a pair of scissors to cut a slot on the top of the buns. Push a piece of butter roughly 2.5 cm x 2 cm x 0.3 cm into the slot.
  • Bake the dough in a pre-heated oven at 175 deg. C for 18 min.
  • Remove the buns from the baking tray to a metal rack to be cooled down.
  • For Sugar Butter Buns, sprinkle the top of the buns with powdered sugar using a sieve once the buns have completely cooled down. Otherwise, the sugar will melt and become invisible.