al-luckylady

Monday, September 21, 2026

Stir-fried Mani Cai with Egg





Mani cai or sayur manis in Bahasa Malaya or sweet leaf is a popular vegetable in our country. I usually cook it in soup with ikan bilis (anchovies). This particular soup forms the base for pan mee which is a popular Chinese handmade flat noodle. I have never stir fry mani cai until recently when I discovered it in a Thai restaurant. Since then I have cooked it many times.


Ingredients:

  • 1 egg
  • 400 g mani cai (just the leaves)
  • 5 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp pepper
  • Cooking oil


Instructions:
  • Pluck the leaves from the stems and wash them thoroughly.
  • Add cooking oil to a pan and scramble the egg. Scoop up and set it aside when done.
  • Add cooking oil to the pan. Add the garlic and saute them till they are crispy. Scoop out about 70% and set them aside.
  • Add the mani cai to the pan and stir-fry till they are cooked.
  • Season with salt and pepper.
  • Return the scrambled egg to the pan. Mix them up with the mani cai.
  • Ladle up onto a serving plate.
  • Sprinkle the garlic crisp on top.
  • Serve.