al-luckylady

Saturday, June 20, 2020

Kangkung Fritters






When I was making the Vegetable Fritters, my sister suggested to me that I can make fritters with kangkung or water spinach. She said that Kangkung Fritters are very crunchy. So I set out to experiment making them myself. The result was as she had said - very crunchy. They are also very addictive; you would want to keep on eating them after starting on the first piece.


Ingredients:
  • 250 g kangkung (before cutting off the roots)
  • 4 tbsp rice flour
  • 1 tbsp wheat flour
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp pepper
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 cup of water
  • Cooking oil

Method: 
  • Remove the kangkung roots and pluck them into shorter pieces.
  • Wash and let as much water to run off as possible using a colander. Set the colander of kangkung aside.
  • Add rice flour, wheat flour, salt, pepper and baking powder to a mixing bowl. (You can vary the proportion of rice flour and wheat flour. Usually I use 2 parts of rice flour to 1 part of wheat flour. But here I am using more rice flour.) Mix all the ingredients up.
  • Slowly add water to the bowl. Mix the water and the flour mixture to get a stiff batter.
  • Add the kangkung to the batter and mix them till the kangkung is coated with the batter.
  • Heat up a kuali with cooking oil.
  • When the oil is hot, use a fork to scoop the kangkung into the kuali.
  • Fry till one side is golden brown.
  • Flip the fritter to the other side and fry till this side turns golden brown.
  • Scoop the fritter out onto a kitchen towel.
  • Serve.